Do Yeast Infections Itch and Burn
Yeast infections are one cause of vaginal itching and burning. Yeast (also known as candida) is a naturally occurring fungus present in the vagina. Under certain conditions or circumstances, the yeast begins to multiply far beyond the norm, creating a fungal infection that causes vaginal irritation.
Most women treat yeast infections with over-the-counter medications, but there are other conditions with similar symptoms.
Do I Have a Yeast Infection?
Over 75% of women have at least one yeast infection in their lifetime. For many, it’s a recurring condition that requires changes in lifestyle. But vaginal itching and burning can also be symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), so it’s wise to confirm your condition with a medical professional.
Symptoms of a Yeast Infection
The common symptoms of a yeast infection include:
- Vaginal itching and discomfort
- Burning sensation in vagina
- Painful urination
- Painful intercourse
- Vaginal discharge (though not always present)
Yeast infections occur when the pH balance in the vagina is disrupted. Common causes include:
- Long term use of antibiotics
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
Though a yeast infection can be uncomfortable, once treated, symptom relief is almost immediate.
STDs that are commonly mistaken for yeast infections include:
- Trichomoniasis. Known as “trich”, this STD also has the same symptoms of a yeast infection, but a more distinct vaginal discharge with a strong odor. It’s caused by a parasite, transmitted during intercourse. Men who carry the parasite often show no symptoms and may not know they are infected. Women will normally show symptoms within 5 to 28 days and require treatment with antibiotics.
- Chlamydia. Chlamydia is a common STD that presents in women with a slight vaginal discharge, itching or swelling of the vagina, painful urination, a low grade fever and bleeding between periods. It also requires treatment with antibiotics.
Coming to FastMed
The medical professionals at FastMed Urgent Care are dedicated to providing quality healthcare that is convenient, thorough and discreet.
That is why we are open seven days a week, never require an appointment, and see our patients promptly. If you think you have a yeast infection, come to FastMed — our staff of medical professionals can confirm the source of your burning and itching.
Everyday Health: Are your medications causing yeast infections?
The content presented on this page is not intended to diagnose health problems or take the place of professional medical care.