Itchy hands are especially common during the colder months. Most people experience varying degrees of severity and may also notice a rash or redness around the affected area. Although itchy hands are usually harmless, it may be a sign of a more serious underlying condition. If you’re unable to find relief for itchy hands, talk to a medical professional at your local FastMed Urgent Care.
Itchy Hands: Causes and Remedies
Here are a two factors (beyond dry skin) that may potentially cause itchy hands:
- Allergies/Irritants: Certain laundry detergents, lotions, and oils are known to cause itchy reactions to the skin
- Skin conditions: Conditions such as eczema or psoriasis appear in different forms of painful patchy and, flakey skin
You may find relief with help from the following home remedies:
- Lotion: Using an unscented, medicated lotion over the affected area a few times a day will typically reduce or eliminate the itch from your hands
- Increase fluid intake: Drinking more water throughout the day helps to lower the risk of skin dehydration
- Lukewarm baths and cold compresses: Hot water irritates skin so it’s best to soak in lukewarm water; use cold compresses to alleviate extremely itchy areas
When to Seek Medical Attention
If symptoms worsen over time or the skin doesn’t respond to lotions or creams, you may want to seek medical attention. A medical professional will be able to evaluate your condition and discuss potential causes and treatments.
If you’re concerned about itchy hands, stop by any of the FastMed Urgent Care locations for an evaluation. Our compassionate staff welcomes you to walk in now or check in online to begin your road to relief today.
The content presented on this page is not intended to diagnose health problems or take the place of professional medical care.