Itchy Throat: Causes and Remedies
We all know the miserable feeling of having an itch you can’t scratch, and sometimes it can be enough to drive you crazy. Since our throats aren’t in an easy place to scratch, it may seem like you don’t have many options for relief. However, depending on the cause of your itchy throat, there are plenty of options that can relieve your itchy throat and keep you from going insane.
Why Does My Throat Itch?
The most common causes of an itchy throat include:
- Seasonal or environmental allergies: Seasonal or environmental allergies can be caused by anything from pollen and dust to certain medications. Along with an itchy throat, allergies can cause other symptoms, such as itchy or dry eyes, sneezing, and a runny nose.
- Food allergies: Symptoms of food allergies typically start within 2 hours of eating a food you are allergic to. Along with an itchy throat, food allergies may cause symptoms like skin rashes, stomach issues, itchy eyes, and in more severe cases, swelling of the lips, tongue, eyes, or face.
- A cold: The common cold is a virus that affects our upper respiratory systems. A cold can cause multiple symptoms, such as an itchy throat and eyes, congestion, a cough, runny nose, and occasionally a fever.
Relieving an Itchy Throat
The type of treatment you need for your itchy throat depends on the cause. If your itchy throat is due to allergies, taking medications such as antihistamines can help relieve your itchy throat. If your allergies are food-related, avoiding the food you are allergic to is the best way to avoid an itchy throat.
If your itchy throat is due to a virus such like the common cold, medications won’t help, but you can try some home remedies to get relief. Here are some easy methods to help alleviate the symptoms of an itchy throat:
- Gargling with salt water
- Sucking on throat lozenges
- Taking a steam bath
- Drinking plenty of fluids
If your itchy throat persists for several days or becomes painful, you may want to see a healthcare professional. The medical professionals at FastMed are dedicated to offering quality health care with compassion. Our main goal is striving to see every patient in under an hour. So, the next time you have an itchy throat that just can’t wait, stop by your local FastMed!
The content presented on this page is not intended to diagnose health problems or take the place of professional medical care.