When to See a Doctor for Gallbladder Pain
If you are experiencing pain near your gallbladder, you might be wondering when to see a doctor. Gallbladder pain can sometimes be due to serious conditions, such as cholecystitis (inflammation) and gallstones. If you are experiencing gallbladder pain, you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
Gallbladder Pain: Causes and Symptoms
Your gallbladder is a small, pear-shaped organ that sits under your liver in the upper right part of your stomach. It’s job is to store bile and break down fat from the food you ingest. If you are experiencing pain the upper right part of your stomach it could be due do a gallbladder issue, such as:
- Cholecystitis — inflammation of the gallbladder
- Gallstones — hard deposits in the gallbladder that consist of cholesterol, bilirubin (discarded red blood cells) or salt
- Bile duct stones — stone-like objects that get stuck in the common bile duct
- Gallbladder Polyps — growths (usually benign) that protrude from the lining of the gallbladder
- Porcelain gallbladder — calcification of the gallbladder that is most commonly found in overweight, middle aged female patients
- Gallbladder cancer — an uncommon type of cancer that forms as a result of mutations in the cells of the gallbladder
Most gallbladder problems cause similar symptoms, including:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fever or chills
- Jaundice (yellow skin)
- Light-colored stools and dark urine
When to See a Doctor
If you are experiencing severe gallbladder pain, or gallbladder pain that is accompanied by any of the symptoms listed above, you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Medical professionals will be able to use tests, including X-rays, blood tests, and ultrasounds to determine the cause of your pain and the best course of treatment.
FastMed Urgent Care is open 7 days a week with extended hours, making it easy for you to receive medical treatment as soon as your symptoms strike. Don’t let your gallbladder pain go untreated, find a FastMed Urgent Care near you today.
Health Line: http://www.healthline.com/health/gallbladder-problems-symptoms
The content presented on this page is not intended to diagnose health problems or take the place of professional medical care.