Heartburn is a common side effect experienced by many pregnant women. During pregnancy, the body produces extra amounts of the hormone progesterone in order to relax the muscles. This increase also affects the functionality of the valves responsible for blocking acid from entering the esophagus.
The result: heartburn.
Luckily, there are several ways to aid in reducing problems associated with stomach acid that are 100% healthy for both Mommy and baby. Soothe burning in your stomach during pregnancy with these tips from FastMed Urgent Care.
Extinguish That Fire Burning in Your Stomach
- Eat smaller meals throughout the day. Frequent meals of smaller portions between 4-6 times each day
- Skip the late night snack. Eating right before you go to sleep will increase the likelihood of heartburn
- Wear looser-fitting clothes. Wearing clothes made from breathable material, like cotton, are ideal for reducing heartburn
- Drink more water in between meals. Sip small amounts of liquid while sitting down to eat, but increase fluid intake between each meal
- Sleep in an elevated position. Adjusting to slightly upward sleep position will help keep acid out of the esophagus
Following these suggestions may provide relief of burning in stomach, known as heartburn, during pregnancy. If the burning in your stomach persists, our medical professionals are available every day of the week. There is no appointment necessary for an examination, and most insurance carriers are accepted. Stop by or check in online to get the quality healthcare you deserve.