Sometimes you’ve just got to indulge in a little dessert. When those cravings strike, avoid ‘dieter’s remorse’ by making this delicious fruit salad with homemade whipped cream. Unlike Cool Whip, your whipped cream has only three ingredients: heavy cream, vanilla, and just a tablespoon of sugar. You’ll get a heaping helping of fruit and nuts in every bowl; add your favorites for different flavors! With all-natural ingredients and organic choices, you can enjoy an after-dinner treat — without the side of guilt.
What You Need
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 3 medium apples, chopped (I used Gala)
- 3 cups red grapes, halved
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 2 cans mandarin oranges
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
What to Do
1. Drain the cans of mandarin oranges. Put all the fruit (bananas, apples, grapes, and oranges) and the walnuts into a large bowl.
2. Before making the whipped cream, chill your bowl and your beaters in the freezer for a few minutes. Pour in the heavy cream and whip or whisk on low speed until it starts to thicken.
3. Add the vanilla and sugar and continue beating until fluffy. Be careful not to overbeat or it will go from whipped cream to whipped butter! Add the fruit mixture to the whipped cream and serve — chocolate shavings optional!