Nothing says summertime like a fresh, juicy peach, particularly for those of us lucky enough to live in the South! This delicious and easy recipe for preparing peaches gets a little dressier with the addition of caramelized sugar baskets. If you don’t have time, skip the baskets – the peaches are quite tasty on their own. I added cinnamon sugar to mine, but you can go savory with different spices, like nutmeg, ground cloves, or cardamom. Don’t forget the ice cream!
What You Need For the Baskets
1 cup sugar
What to Do
- Coat the inside of some bowls in olive oil. These will be the shape of your baskets, so take size into account.
- Heat a heavy pan (I use cast iron) over medium heat. When the pan is hot, sprinkle in the sugar one or two tablespoons at a time. As it starts to melt, sprinkle more sugar over it.
- After you’ve added about half the sugar, begin to stir the caramelized sugar. Keep adding as you stir.
- Once all the sugar is melted, turn the heat to low. Hold a bowl sideways and drizzle the caramelized liquid onto the sides of the bowl. Turn the bowl as you drizzle to get all sides. Don’t worry too much about structure – your baskets are mostly for decoration!
- Make as many bowls as you need, then set aside to cool. After a few minutes, your caramel baskets should easily slide out of the bowl and stand on their own.
What You Need For the Peaches
6 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
12 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
What to Do
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Brush the cut side of the peach halves with melted butter.
- When the pan is hot, place the peach halves cut side down on the pan and cook for about three minutes; the cut side should start turning golden brown. It might get a little smoky!
- Flip the peaches over and reduce the heat to medium low. Fill each half with a tablespoon or so of honey, and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Allow the peaches to cook until they are nice and soft, but still hold their shape – about six minutes.
- Place the peaches in the caramel baskets (if you’re using them) and serve right away, preferably with ice cream!