BCBSNC Urges Consumers to Learn Why Health Insurance Premiums Keep Rising
February 25, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina’s (BCBSNC) launched the next chapter of the Let’s Talk Cost campaign that sheds new light on the unknown, overlooked and misunderstood drivers behind skyrocketing medical costs. The effort will educate North Carolinians on how these causes contribute to increasing health insurance premiums.
- Waste – Our medical system spends one out of every three dollars each year on unnecessary things like duplicate tests and medical errors.
- Hidden costs – More than 60 percent of Americans don’t know how much a treatment or procedure costs until they get the bill.
- New drugs and technology – Americans pay twice as much as patients in other industrialized countries for prescription drugs.
- Personal choices – With the money spent on treating chronic conditions largely caused by unhealthy habits, we could nearly eliminate the 2011 federal deficit.
- The Affordable Care Act – Health care reform provides many new benefits, but these benefits come at a cost, including the introduction of eight new taxes.
BCBSNC is encouraging North Carolinians to join the Let's Talk Cost Discussion on BCBSNC's Facebook page and Twitter page, with the hashtag #Letstalkcost.
The Complete News Release is available here: BCBSNC Urges Consumers to Learn Why Health Insurance Premiums Keep Rising