Balsamic Chicken and Quinoa
This all-in-one meal has everything your body needs, including carbs, proteins, and vegetables. Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is a high-protein, low-calorie superfood that also happens to be gluten-free. Chicken breast is a delicious source of protein, and tomatoes are chock-full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, including lycopene. A word of caution: make sure you’re choosing tomatoes that come in BPA-free packaging. BPA is dangerous in general, but it is particularly harmful when used to store acidic foods, like tomatoes. And you can always dice fresh tomatoes, if you have the time.
What You Need
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
3 cups diced tomatoes
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried rosemary
½ tsp. dried thyme
1½ cups quinoa
What to Do
- Season the chicken breast chunks with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and brown the chicken.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the spices and quinoa. Cover and simmer until the quinoa is cooked through and is no longer crunchy (about 30 minutes). Serve!