Poison Ivy

Around 85 percent of people are allergic to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac, or more specifically, they are allergic to the oil in the plant known as urushiol. If you had contact with these plants at some point in the past few days and are now experiencing an itchy rash made up of patches and red streak, blisters that leak fluid and then crust over, swelling, and a burning sensation on the skin, you are probably reacting to exposure because you're allergic to the plant. The reaction is known as allergic contact dermatitis, and it can be quite irritating and embarrassing if left untreated. Although a poison ivy rash is not contagious, getting treatment right away can make the condition more bearable.

 

Don't suffer with the itch of poison ivy—visit FastMed Urgent Care right away to minimize itching and possible infection that results from scratching. Doctors can prescribe special medicines and creams to minimize itching and reduce swelling quickly