B12 is a vitamin found in a variety of foods, such as fish, meat, eggs, and other dairy products. This vitamin plays an important role within the body’s essential processes, like brain function, energy production, DNA synthesis, and regulation of the nervous system. It is uncommon for most people to be B12 deficient, but the elderly, vegetarians and those infected with HIV are most at risk. The potential of a B12 overdose is not very likely, but it is most certainly possible.
B12 Supplements, Benefits, and Dosage
B12 is usually supplemented through:
- B12 tablets/ B-complex tablets
- Sublingual B12 pill (dissolved under tongue)
- B12 injections
What Medical Conditions Benefit from B12 supplements?
Supplements of vitamin B12 are proven to be effective for:
- B12 deficiencies from conditions like celiac disease and Crohn’s disease
- Megaloblastic/Pernicious anemia
- Chronic fatigue
- Reducing memory-loss associated with Dementia/Alzheimer’s
- Providing an increase of energy
What are the symptoms of a B12 overdose?
Since B12 is a water-soluble vitamin, excess amounts are typically eliminated through urine. Potential symptoms of a B12 overdose include:
- Tingling/Numbness of the fact, arms, and hands
- Mild diarrhea
What is the recommended B12 dosage?
The recommended B12 dosage is as follows:
- Men over 14 years of age should consume 2.4 mcg daily
- Women over 14 years of age should also consume 2.4 mcg daily
- Pregnant Women should consume 2.6 mcg daily
- Lactating Women should consume 2.8 mcg daily
Be sure to discuss your interest in B12 with a medical professional prior to beginning any supplementation. The experienced medical professionals at FastMed Urgent Care is dedicated to providing quality, personalized care that is both convenient and affordable. Our facilities are open 365 days a year, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
We strive to complete each patient’s evaluation within an hour, so even on your busiest days, there’s always time for a visit to your local FastMed. Whether you’re concerned about a potential B12 overdose, have a broken bone, or are in need of a flu shot, FastMed Urgent Care provides countless services catered towards your basic health needs. Stop in today to learn more.