High blood pressure, or hypertension, is a very serious matter. About 1 in every 3 adults in America has it. If left untreated, it can lead to kidney failure, coronary artery disease, stroke, and even heart failure. Most people cannot sense when their blood pressure is high, so it is vital for you to get your blood pressure checked regularly and keep it in a normal range. Stop by a local FastMed urgent care clinic if you are worried about your blood pressure. In order to have you blood pressure evaluated at FastMed, the patient must complete an office visit.
Here are 10 lifestyle changes that the Mayo Clinic lists as ways to help keep your blood pressure at a healthy level and reduce your chances of heart disease:
- Watch your waistline and lose any extra weight
- Exercise 30-60 minutes most days of the week
- Eat a healthy diet of whole grains, fruits and veggies, and low fat dairy.
- Monitor and reduce sodium in your diet
- Limit your alcohol intake
- Do not use tobacco products and avoid secondhand smoke
- Cut down on your caffeine intake
- Reduce your stress
- Monitor your blood pressure regularly and see your doctor
- Get support from family and friends
Jane Lykins, MD
FastMed Regional Medical Director, Tucson AZ
Board Certified in Family Medicine
FastMed Urgent Care owns and operates nearly 200 centers in North Carolina, Arizona and Texas that provide a broad range of acute/episodic and preventive healthcare services 365 days a year. FastMed also provides workers’ compensation and other occupational health services at all its centers, and family and sports medicine services at select locations. FastMed has successfully treated more than six million patients and is the only independent urgent care operator in North Carolina, Arizona and Texas to be awarded The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for quality, safety and infection control in ambulatory healthcare. For more information about locations, services, hours of operation, insurance and prices, visit www.fastmed.com.