More than 50 walk-in locations

Dear Dr. Kyle,

This is sort of embarrassing, but I am a guy who thinks he may have gotten a yeast infection. I thought only women got those, but after reading about it, I’m not so sure. It is painful and it itches, and I am not sure what to do. Should I see a doctor? Or can you treat male yeast infection symptoms with over the counter medication? Help!


One Freaked Out Dude

Male Yeast Infection Symptoms

Dear Freaked Out Dude,

Let me start by telling you this: there is no reason to be freaked out. Yeast infections in men are not that unusual, and they can typically be treated very easily. Male yeast infection symptoms often include the following:

  • Irritation, burning, or itching under the foreskin or on the tip of the penis
  • Redness or red patches under the foreskin or on the tip of the penis
  • Discharge under the foreskin that may look like cottage cheese
  • Difficulty pulling back the foreskin of your penis

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is possible that you have a yeast infec

tion. Male yeast infection symptoms can be treated with over-the-counter medication; however, you should ensure it is a yeast infection that is causing your symptoms before beginning treatment.

It doesn’t sound like you have had a yeast infection before, so I would recommend visiting FastMed to rule out the presence of an STI or other type of infection. There’s no reason to feel embarrassed when you come to FastMed. Our staff of medical professionals is caring and compassionate. We will work to assess your symptoms and provide you with treatment as quickly and conveniently as possible.

Dr. Kyle

More Questions? Check out our

Sign up for email offers

Sign up to receive coupons, health tips, and more–directly to your inbox.