Vaginal mucus discharge is an essential component of the female reproductive system. It aids in sperm travel, removes dead cells, and flushes infectious bacteria out of the body. It’s extremely common for women to experience slight variations in their vaginal mucus discharge. In some cases, certain changes are considered abnormal and may be a sign of infection.
If you’ve noticed concerning changes in your vaginal mucus discharge, stop by FastMed Urgent Care for an evaluation with one of our experienced medical professionals.
- Additional symptoms, like burning or itching
Abnormal vaginal mucus discharge may be caused by the following:*
- Bacterial Vaginosis. Discharge may appear yellow or a gray-toned white and have an unpleasant, “fishy” odor.
- Gonorrhea/Chlamydia. Both are common sexually transmitted bacterial infections. Symptoms include an increase in vaginal mucus discharge, burning during urination, and bleeding in between periods.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) HPV is an extremely common virus that has the potential to lead to cancer. Symptoms include foul-smelling, watery discharge that may appear brown in color.
- Pelvic Inflammatory disorder (PID) Caused by the spread of bacteria from the vagina to other reproductive organs. Symptoms include heavy discharge with an unpleasant odor.
- Trichomoniasis. Sexually transmitted parasitic infection causing green or yellow discharge with a foul odor. Additional symptoms include mild to severe vaginal inflammation, burning, and itching.
- Yeast infection. Fungal infection that produces a white, odorless discharge resembling cottage cheese. Additional symptoms include itching, burning, and redness.
Depending on the diagnosis, treatment for abnormal vaginal discharge can include vaginal gel, cream, or oral medication. Our team medical professionals is dedicated to providing the highest quality of care, addressing all of your basic health needs. FastMed is open seven days a week and requires no appointment. You may still check in online for a quicker waiting time.