According to the American Lung Association, Pneumonia is a common lung infection caused by bacteria, a virus or fungi. To get proper treatment, it is important to recognize the symptoms of pneumonia early. FastMed’s healthcare professionals are here for you 365 days a year!
10 Facts About Pneumonia and its Symptoms:
- One-third of pneumonia cases in the U.S. are caused by respiratory viruses.
- The main causes of pneumonia are bacteria, viruses, mycoplasmas, fungi and chemicals in the lungs.
- Pneumonia can be diagnosed through a physical exam, chest X-ray or blood test.
- The most common pneumonia symptoms are cough, fever, shaking chills, shortness of breath and chest pain.
- Pneumonia can affect anyone at any age, but young children and people over the age of 65 are at a higher risk.
- Smokers are also at a higher risk of developing pneumonia.
- While pneumonia itself is not contagious, the bacteria that causes it can be.
- Pneumonia and influenza together are ranked as the eighth leading cause of death in the U.S.
- The pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV) protects against 23 types of pneumococcal bacteria
- If you develop pneumonia, it is important to see your doctor right away, as the infection can spread through the bloodstream quickly. When left untreated, pneumonia can lead to other health problems and death.
- Wash your hands regularly
- Get a flu shot every year, since the flu is a common cause of pneumonia
- For children, look into the Hib vaccine
- Do not smoke
- Take vitamin C and Zinc, which can help boost your immune system. Pneumonia strikes most often in people whose immune systems are weakened.
- Eat a balanced diet
- Exercise regularly
- Cover your mouth when coughing
- When possible, limit your exposure to people who are sick
FastMed is a walk-in clinic that offers flu shots, physicals, blood tests and other services 7 days a week with no appointment. Pressed for time? Check-in online!