Have you noticed a number of tiny white bumps across your tongue? Although their discovery may be slightly alarming, most cases of white spots on the tongue are harmless. In a few cases, however, the spots could also be a potential sign of a more serious condition that may require medical attention. FastMed offers convenient urgent care for all of your basic health needs, including the examination and treatment of white spots on the tongue.
White + Spots + Tongue = Different for Everyone
Do all white spots on tongue appear in the same way for everyone?
No. It’s not a simple solution. The spots’ characteristics depend on the underlying cause. White spots on the tongue can vary in several ways:
- Size and shape: Spots may appear as small, uniform dots, or they could be large and irregularly shaped.
- Location: Spots typically appear on the sides on the tongue and progressively spread towards the middle.
- Associated symptoms: Spots may grow into a white coating that can cover the entire tongue. The coating has the potential to thicken, change color, and cause bad breath.
What can cause white spots on the tongue to appear?
There are several factors that are commonly associated with spots and coatings on the tongue:
- Oral thrush (oral candidiasis)
- Dry mouth
- Oral Cancers
- Side effect of certain medications
Should I see a doctor for the white spots on my tongue?
Seek medical attention if the spots are accompanied by additional symptoms, resemble a fungal growth, or if they are present for over two weeks.
Remedies for white spots that do not require medical attention are as follows:
- Use tongue scraper daily
- Increase hydration
- Quit smoking
To further investigate your concerns regarding white spots on the tongue, visit one of the many FastMed Urgent Care locations.