There are certain health requirements that CMV drivers must meet in order to maintain their commercial drivers license. Each driver should pass a DOT physical examination with a certified medical examiner every 24 months to be eligible for a DOT medical certificate. When it comes to DOT physicals, blood pressure is a frequent concern for drivers.
Have Questions Regarding Your DOT Physical or Blood Pressure? Here Are Some Tips:
- As part of a DOT physical, blood pressure should be measured by a certified healthcare professional
- Normal blood pressure should be around 110/70, but can vary by individual
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) often has no symptoms, so it is important to get regular check-ups
- If hypertension goes untreated it could cause multiple medical issues including heart, kidney, or vision failure
- With so many risks associated with blood pressure, an abnormal blood pressure measurement could put your CDL at risk
- A medical professional may do multiple blood pressure readings during a DOT physical to ensure an accurate measurement. A single high reading does not always mean you have hypertension
- Blood pressure is not the only thing tested in a DOT physical
Other evaluations included in the DOT physical may include:
- Drug and alcohol tests
- Vision and hearing exams
- A driver’s medical or mental history, if the medical examiner feels it is relevant to the DOT physical
The purpose of checking blood pressure during a DOT physical is to ensure a CMV driver is capable of doing their job safely. With so many risks associated with hypertension, CMV drivers with healthy blood pressure are vital in keeping our roads safe.
FastMed offers affordable DOT physicals and blood pressure tests by certified medical professionals who are available day and night, 7 days a week. To make it even easier, FastMed now has an online check-in option and discount programs.
FastMed Urgent Care owns and operates nearly 200 centers in North Carolina, Arizona and Texas that provide a broad range of acute/episodic and preventive healthcare services 365 days a year. FastMed also provides workers’ compensation and other occupational health services at all its centers, and family and sports medicine services at select locations. FastMed has successfully treated more than six million patients and is the only independent urgent care operator in North Carolina, Arizona and Texas to be awarded The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for quality, safety and infection control in ambulatory healthcare. For more information about locations, services, hours of operation, insurance and prices, visit www.fastmed.com.