If you or your child are in need of a physical, FastMed Urgent Care makes it easy to get them done. We offer extended hours for your convenience on weekdays, weekends, and holidays so you can bring your children and teens in for school, camp, and sports physicals. Our providers are also certified examiners for Department of Transportation (DOT) physicals. Whatever the reason for your exam, FastMed’s walk-in physicals are quick and easy. To shorten your wait time, just check in online, you can also download forms online in advance. Then, once you’re here, our on-site labs, X-rays, and testing services can provide most everything you need at one convenient stop.
Why get a physical?
Simply put, the purpose of a physical examination is prevention. Whether you have a child in need of a sports physical, or you’re an adult who needs a DOT physical, your exam can be one of the best ways to screen for illnesses or other health concerns. The exam will provide either reassurance that your health is fine, or warn you of an impending health issue while there’s still time to correct it.
A comprehensive physical examination helps your provider spot medical problems at an early stage so that they can be more easily addressed and managed. These include high blood pressure (hypertension), high cholesterol, and diabetes, to name a few. Your physical can also be a good time to pinpoint any potential weight problems that could lead to obesity, and we can counsel you on some simple ways you can manage the problem.
In other cases, a physical exam may be required for pre-employment or as part of an occupational medical exam. Whatever the reason for your physical, these exams can be crucial to your overall health. This is why FastMed makes it easy and convenient to get one any day of the week, right in your own neighborhood.
What is a physical?
Although physicals vary depending on their purpose and the provider, most consist of the following:
- Medical history: This involves a review of any past or current concerns, an evaluation of lifestyle or behaviors, such as smoking, diet, and exercise, as well as a check of your vaccinations and an update of your personal and family medical history.
- Check of vital signs: During this portion of the exam, your blood pressure, heart, and respiration rates will be checked, as well as your temperature.
- General appearance: Your examiner can learn much about your health simply by observing your appearance. He or she may look for signs of mental quickness, examine the health of your skin, or even observe you as you stand or walk.
Additionally, most physicals include an examination of the following:
- Head & neck
- Reflexes, balance & muscle strength (neurological)
- Nails & skin
In some cases, you may also require lab tests, such as a blood count, urinalysis, and chemistry panel. Other tests may be needed if potential medical problems are detected.
What are some different types of physicals?
FastMed Urgent Care offers physicals for a variety of purposes. For children and teens, sports, camp, and school physicals are often required prior to participation. For adults, a physical may be a normal part of an annual checkup, or required for pre-employment. DOT physicals are necessary to ensure the safe operation of trucks and buses on our nation’s highways. At other times, a physical can help to determine whether an employment candidate is physically qualified to handle a particular job.
FastMed Urgent Care physicals typically include the following types:
- School (Ages 18 & under)
- Sports (Ages 18 & under)
- Camp (Ages 18 & under)
- Basic Physical (Ages 18 & up)
- DOT (Department of Transportation)
Where to get a physical exam?
If you require a physical exam for any of the reasons outlined, your FastMed team is available to help. Our goal is to give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing you’re in good physical health—rather than add any additional daily stress that could lead to physical illness.
That’s why we’re open 7 days a week, 365 days a year, right in your neighborhood. We make getting physicals convenient and easy—no appointment required. You can check in online in advance to shorten your wait time, if preferred.
* The content presented on this page is not intended to diagnose health problems or take the place of professional medical care.