Make your plan and check it twice
The holidays are a wonderful time of year to be together with family and friends and enjoy some delicious food. If you are trying to stay healthy and eat healthy, this can be a bit tricky. It can be easy to over-indulge and reverse some of the hard work you’ve done. That being said, it is possible to keep a healthy lifestyle during the holidays without missing out on the celebrations, if you have a plan. Here are FastMed Family Nurse Practitioner, Kelly Stoia’s, tips for staying healthy and avoiding weight gain over the holidays:
- Start exercising now! Don’t wait until the New Year to make a resolution or join a gym. Exercise daily and try to get 20-30 minutes every day.
- Fill up on foods with high nutritional value and low calories first, such as fresh vegetables and fruits. That way you are more likely to feel full sooner and less likely to over-indulge on less healthy sweets and calorie dense foods.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid beverages full of sugar. Your body needs water to break down fats, and it will reduce the overall number of calories you consume.
- Don’t bring the sweets home or into the office. If it’s not there, you are less likely to eat it.
- Bring a healthy side dish to your festivities. There may not be many healthy options, so make sure you bring one that you can enjoy.
- Focus on friends and family, not the food table. Pay more attention to those you are with and enjoy their company.
For even more information, get the skinny on healthy diets.
FastMed is here to help you stay happy and healthy all year round! For dietary guidance, please visit one of our family medicine clinics in North Carolina. Family Nurse Practitioner Kelly Stoia practices at our Asheville, NC location. To find your nearest FastMed family medicine location, click here!
FastMed is one of the nation’s largest urgent care providers, with nearly 200 clinics in Arizona, California, Florida, North Carolina and Texas. FastMed provides a broad range of acute/episodic, preventive, and occupational healthcare – in its clinics and via telemedicine – as well as family medicine at selected clinics. FastMed is one of the few urgent care providers in the nation that has earned The Joint Commission’s coveted Gold Seal of Approval® for quality, safety and infection control in ambulatory healthcare. For more information, visit www.fastmed.com.