FACT -- The liver is the largest glandular organ in the body and performs many vital functions to keep the body pure of toxins and harmful substances.
Go ahead, give your liver a pat on the back for helping to keep you alive all these years!
Interestingly, for an organ that does so much for us, its location, purpose, and the possible complications associated with it are still a mystery to many people. Today, FastMed Urgent Care is going to change that. Open 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays, FastMed Urgent Care is a leader in offering medical care that is prompt, personal, and available when you need it.
FastMed Can Teach You About Your Liver
Your liver is located in the upper right portion of the abdominal cavity, beneath the diaphragm and above your stomach. Your abdomen has 4 quadrants:
- Right upper quadrant: Contains your liver, gallbladder, portions of your pancreas, small intestine, and colon
- Left upper quadrant: Contains left lobe of liver, as well as the spleen, stomach, portions of the pancreas, small intestine, and colon
- Right lower quadrant: Contains portions of your small intestine, colon, appendix, and right ureter
- Left lower quadrant: Contains portions of small intestine, colon, and left ureter
The average adult liver weights about 3 pounds and produces a chemical called bile that is responsible for digesting fats. On top of that, the liver also performs these functions:
- Breaks down hemoglobin and insulin
- Detoxifies the blood by removing alcohol, medications, and potentially harmful chemicals
- Destroys old red blood cells (this is what gives fecal matter its brown color)
Because the liver is responsible for so much, and because it comes in contact with so many potentially harmful substances, there are several disorders that can affect it. Here are a few common liver disorders:
- Hepatitis: An Inflammation of the liver that causes yellowing of the skin, abdominal pain, and fatigue
- Cirrhosis: A condition that causes healthy liver tissue to be replaced by scar tissue and eventually prevents the liver from functioning properly
- Fatty liver disease: A disease that occurs when more than 5-10% of your liver is made up of fat.
FastMed is dedicated to providing all of our patients with high-quality, cost-effective medical care. We accept most forms of insurance, accept most major credit cards, and offer a clear, affordable discount program. Contact us today!
The content presented on this page is not intended to diagnose health problems or take the place of professional medical care.