Clayton, NC, July 9, 2012 – FastMed Urgent Care is kicking off its annual summer program to raise awareness about safety in the sun and heat, including the relaunch of the popular Keep Cooler Program that donates free five-gallon Igloo water coolers to any school or other organized sports teams in markets that FastMed serves to promote healthy hydration.
“Summer is just getting started and we’re already seeing temperatures in the 100’s,” said Melvin G. Lee, MD & Chief Medical Officer, FastMed Urgent Care in North Carolina. “With these dangerous temperatures, everyone needs take extra precautions to ensure adequate hydration, sun protection to avoid burns and insect repellant to ward off mosquito bites.”
To help battle these extreme temperatures and have a healthy summer, the urgent care organization suggests following these FastMed Safe Summer Tips:
- Hydrate properly to help support the body’s ability to cool itself when temperatures rise.
- Wear loose, breathable clothing. Synthetic fabrics are best for wicking moisture away from the body.
- Don’t overexert yourself outdoors, especially in the noon hours when the sun is at its hottest.
- Prepare for the heat by looking for shaded areas, seeking air-conditioned areas and wearing plenty of sunscreen.
- Remain alert and aware of how you feel. If you are feeling dizzy, nauseous, experience extreme thirst or decreased urination, you may be experiencing the early symptoms of heat illness. Move to a cool place, drink plenty of water or visit your neighborhood FastMed Urgent Care.
“We’re open every day, all year with extended hours and can treat walk-in patients for anything from heat exhaustion to sunburns, sun poisoning and insect bites,” said Michael P. Dunn, MD & Chief Medical Officer, FastMed Urgent Care in Arizona. “But our real goal is to help people enjoy a safer summer season and avoid health problems to begin with.”
Last year, FastMed launched the Keep Cooler Program to support athletes who play outside in the hotter months by providing free coolers to area schools and other community-based organizations to promote hydration. The program was a huge success and lead FastMed to buy more of the large coolers and continue the FastMed Keep Cooler Program.
About FastMed Urgent Care:
FastMed Urgent Care is a North Carolina-based owner and operator of urgent care facilities with locations throughout North Carolina and Arizona. FastMed focuses on the delivery of non-appointment based medicine to the non-emergency patient market. The urgent care centers are open 365 days a year and are staffed with experienced and licensed physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners. FastMed is owned by the Comvest Group, a leading private investment firm focused on providing equity and debt capital to lower middle-market companies. For more information, please visit www.fastmed.com.
Reuel Heyden | Dir. Of Community Relations
FastMed Urgent Care